At ULA Solicitors, we can also help you with your applications for British Nationality.
If you have obtained ILR status, or permanent residence, you may be entitled to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen. This will be subject to meeting certain requirements such as your age, residence, character and assessments. Our team of immigration solicitors will assist you to show that you meet the following requirements:
- You are over 18 years old at the point of applying
- You will continue to live in the UK
- You have passed the 'Life in the UK' Test
- You will need to show that you have, as a minimum and depending on your immigration status resided in the UK for 5 years and in possession of ILR for at least 12 months
- You will need to show that in the last five years you have not been outside the UK for more than 450 days and 90 days within the last 12 months
- You have had indefinite leave to remain for the last 12 months
- You will need to show that you have not broken any immigration laws in the UK
- You are of a good character and sound mind
Applicants must have ILR before they can successfully apply for British naturalisation. There are two ways to qualify for naturalisation: five years lawful and continuous residency or three years lawful residency for someone who is married to a British Citizen. There is also requirements about not having spent too many days outside the UK during the relevant period and there is also an English language requirement.